The Delhi Jal Board was constituted on 6th April, 1998 through an Act of the Delhi Legislative Assembly incorporating the previous Delhi Water Supply and Sewage Disposal Undertaking. The Delhi Jal Board is responsible for the Production and Distribution of potable water after treating raw water from various sources like river Yamuna, Bhakhra Storage, Upper Ganga Canal & Groundwater and also provides treatment and disposal of waste water.
Major Achievements Delhi Jal Board in 2015-16
- Free lifeline water, up to 20 kiloliters a month (about 700 liters a day) per family provided to the citizens of Delhi w.e.f. 1st March2015. This has benefited around 8.99 lakh consumers and helped in saving 4 Million Gallons of Water per day.
- A record 217 unauthorised colonies were connected with to the water network over the past year.
- Incentives introduced to bring more residents of Delhi under the metered water network.
- The DJB has introduced a water bill amnesty scheme. This solves the problem of inflated bills which burden the average consumer and remove the issue of revenue arrear collection.
- 100% old arrear of water bill is to be waived off for the consumers living in unauthorised colonies, slums and resettlement colonies.